CSCS Trainee Card Changes
3rd June 2016
CSCS have announced changes to their Trainee card recently, which has caused much confusion in the construction industry as a whole.So we’re here to try and clear any confusion that people might have surrounding the changes to the CSCS Trainee card.
What is a Trainee Card?
The CSCS Trainee card is designed for individuals who are currently gaining a construction based qualification. It allows those undergoing their qualification to attend a construction site in order to gain experience.
What Do I Need to Apply?
In order to apply for a CSCS Trainee card there are various criteria you have to hit. You must attend and pass the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test and meet one of the following:
- For the Trainee Craft and Operative Card, you must:
Currently be enrolled onto a construction related qualification that is based on National Occupational Standard, such as an NVQ.
- For the Trainee Technical, Supervisory and Management Card (TMS), you must:
Give evidence of your current registration with a higher education college or university for a nationally recognised construction based qualification.
Both of these cards are valid for up to three years and are non-renewable.
As of 1st August 2016, the following changes will also be introduced:
- The card will be red in order to make it easily distinguishable
- There will be one “universal” Trainee card, none specific to job roles
- No occupation will be defined on the card, instead it will state “Trainee”
- The card will be valid for up to five years, but will remain non-renewable
- SSSTS, SMSTS and NEBOSH General will not be accepted as qualifications that lead to a Trainee card
- Applicants must complete their qualification before the card expires
- Before applying for the card, applicants must register for a CSCS recognised construction related qualification
- Applicants must have completed the appropriate CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test within the last two years
- After completing their qualification, applicants will be able to move onto a Skilled CSCS card
The introduction of one single Trainee card will help towards making the scheme simpler in general. Changing the card to red and having it clearly marked with “Trainee” will make individuals undergoing a construction related qualification easily distinguishable.Go Back