General enquiries:
Contact your local Bromak
  • Bromak Head Office: 01204 554 880
  • Bromak Bolton - Trades & Labour: 01204 554 886
  • Bromak Yorkshire: 0114 213 0900
  • Bromak Midlands: 01827 211 022
  • Bromak North East: 0191 337 0720
  • Bromak South (Eastern): 01206 239 066

The Importance of Right to Work Checks

25th August 2017

The Importance of Right to Work Checks

Do you work regularly through Recruitment Agencies or are considering using a Recruitment Agency’s services to help you find your next permanent role? Your Recruitment Consultant should ask you to provide documents that prove your Right to Work in the UK as part of your registration.

You may be hesitant to supply these documents – after all it is your personal information. But don’t worry, Bromak would never share your documents. We don’t use your personal information for anything other than checking your Right to Work.

The home office said in July 2016 that it is a recruitment agencies legal responsibility to check the agency workers right to work in the UK. This responsibility does not fall with the employer.

And if a worker fails to provide proof of their right to work in the UK? Then the agency could face a fine of up to £20,000, and the Recruitment Consultant could face imprisonment. A worker who is found to be working without the correct documents can also face imprisonment.

Examples of Right to Work documents

As outlined by the Home Office, there are several documents which prove your Right to Work in the UK. The most common include:

  • A Passport showing the holder is a British Citizen
  • A full birth or adoption certificate issued in the UK. This must include the names of at least one of the holder’s parents or adoptive parents, together with an official document showing your permanent National Insurance number.
  • A current passport showing that the holder is allowed to stay in the UK.
  • A Permanent Residence Card issued by the Home Office, to the family member of a national of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland.
  • A current Residence Card issued by the Home Office to a non-European Economic Area national

A full guideline can be found here

So, thinking of signing up with Bromak to find your next temporary or permanent job? Please be aware that as a reputable Agency we will need to ask to prove proof of your Right to Work in the UK. Don’t worry, we know how important this information is and it will never be shared with any third parties. We just need to make sure that everything is above board. Remember, it’s for your benefit as much as ours!

If you are looking for work in construction register your details with us!

Go Back

To use the services provided by Bromak you must agree to the Terms of Business

Yes No