General enquiries:
Contact your local Bromak
  • Bromak Head Office: 01204 554 880
  • Bromak Bolton - Trades & Labour: 01204 554 886
  • Bromak Yorkshire: 0114 213 0900
  • Bromak Midlands: 01827 211 022
  • Bromak North East: 0191 337 0720
  • Bromak South (Eastern): 01206 239 066

Which is the Best CSCS Card for Me?

12th May 2016

CSCS cards are essential if you want to work on a construction site. Whether that be as a Labourer, Apprentice, Site Manager or even a Site Visitor. Working on a construction site can be dangerous at times, therefore, having the correct CSCS card works towards reducing any possible risks.

What is a CSCS card?

CSCS stands for Construction Skills Certification Scheme. It is the leading scheme that validates skills within the UK construction industry. CSCS cards provide proof that each individual working on a construction site has the appropriate qualifications and training. Different cards available, each one suited to a specific job role. So which card is best suited for you?



Labourer CSCS (Green)

The CSCS green card is suited towards site Labourers.

You can apply for this card if you have either:

  • Completed the RQF Level 1/SCQF Level 4 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment
  • Completed the SCQF Level 5 REHIS Elementary Health and Safety Certificate.

All applicants must pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test and this card are valid for five years.




Apprentice CSCS (Pink)

This card is available to people who have commenced on a recognised apprenticeship framework. This card is valid for four years and six months, and cannot be renewed.

To apply for the card you must provide CSCS with proof of your apprenticeship and complete the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.



You may be exempt from the CITB Health, Safety & Environment test if you have:

  • A letter or email from the Managing Agency of your apprenticeship (which must be clearly identified that they are a Managing Agency) confirming that you have met the Managing Agency’s Health and Safety requirements
  • A certificate for a one day Health and Safety Awareness course
  • A Health and Safety unit included in your induction or initial qualification.


Manager CSCS (Black)

This card is available for manager and technical occupations subject to:

  • Achievement of a relevant Construction Management/Technical related NVQ/SVQ level 5, 6 or 7
  • Holding a pre-existing NVQ level 4 in construction management.


Finally, the CITB Managers and Professionals Health, Safety and Environment Test must be taken. The Manager CSCS card is valid for up to five years and can be refreshed.


Skilled Worker CSCS (Blue)

You can apply for a Skilled Worker CSCS card if you have either achieved a construction related NVQ/SVQ level 2 or have completed an employer sponsored apprenticeship which included the achievement of a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate.

Experienced workers who have registered for a qualification applicable to their occupation, can apply for an Experienced Worker Card. Finally, the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment test must be taken. These cards are valid for 5 years.




Site Visitor CSCS (Yellow)

All applicants must pass the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment Test. The issue of this card does not relieve the site managers from their legal obligation to ensure the health, safety and welfare of people entering their sites.

All Construction Site Visitor cards issued from 3rd September 2018 will expire on 31st August 2020 and are non-renewable. However, CSCS will stop issuing the card from 28th February 2020.




Provisional CSCS (Pink)

This card is for people who are working through probationary periods so that employers assess their suitability for employment and are only available for those who have never held a CSCS card.

Applicants must have passed the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test within the past two years.

This card lasts for six months and is not renewable. Finally, before it expires Provisional card holders must achieve or be registered for a recognised construction related qualification and apply for the appropriate CSCS card for their job.


Once you have decided which card is best suited for you, you can visit the 3B Training website in order to organise your test.

Find out what on-site jobs are available here 

Go Back

To use the services provided by Bromak you must agree to the Terms of Business

Yes No